Sunday 26 March 2017

Home Grown Slaw


Carole's Chatter: Home Grown Slaw


I just wanted to share with you a dish I made with things I grew myself.  I'm not a natural gardener.  A local supermarket late last year gave away seeds and little pots to grow them in and some of them actually survived, and even thrived.

So here is my Home Grown Slaw.

Ingredients:

Cabbage
Carrot
Broccoli – blanch it very quickly in hot water before slicing

All finely shredded.  I don't have a food processor so did it by hand.  Good therapy.




Home grown in my case doesn't equate to perfectly formed.  This is about the ugliest carrot I've ever seen - but I grew it.

Dressing:

3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons of grated ginger
1 ½ teaspoons of lemon zest
1 finely chopped green chilli (also home grown)
Very small amount of finely chopped white onion
Fish sauce
Pepper

This is one salad that benefits from being made in advance and then left in the fridge to sit.  It stays crunchy.

4 comments:

  1. Its totally awesome to make stuff from your own garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything tastes better when you grew it yourself (even if funny looking!). This slaw sounds really refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your carrot's kind of cute, it has real character, and I'm sure tasted fine in the slaw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun to grow your own and make something from it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers