Tuesday 3 May 2016

Bacon & Courgette Soup

Carole's Chatter: Bacon & Courgette Soup


I guess you could call this Bacon & Courgette Soup cheap and cheerful.

I made the broth with a bag of peelings and tired vegetables.  I throw them into a plastic bag in the freezer and haul them out as required.

I just simmered these in clean filtered water over night along with a bacon hock.  These are quite inexpensive where we are.

I didn't add any aromatics at all and no salt.

When the bacon was cooked I took it out and shredded the meat and set it aside in the fridge ready for use the next day.  I threw out the skin at this stage but left the bones to simmer on.

The next day just sieve your stok and throw out the vegetables and bones – you have retrieved their nutrition by then.

To finish the soup, add back the bacon, a thinly sliced courgette (zucchini) and some fish sauce (to the degree of saltiness you like).

I decided to add sour cream but have had trouble with it splitting in the past. This time I put a little of the stock into a small bowl and stirred through the sour cream and then added it to the stock.  This was mostly successful.

One last check for seasoning and then you are done – I added basil on top as a garnish.  The soup was fine – not a thick one but nutritious.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your recipes!!! Courgette sounds so much more glamorous than zucchini!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers