Sunday 11 October 2015

Smoked Fish 'Mornay'?


Carole's Chatter: Smoked Fish 'Mornay'?


I set out to make what I thought would be a smoked fish mornay.  But it turned out to be a delicious rice/spinach/smoked fish dish with most of the sauce absorbed into the rice.  So I'm not sure what to call it – but I'll be trying this again.  It was a real hit.

Ingredients:

Smoked fish – we had terakihi
Arborio rice
Fresh spinach
Tomato
Capsicum – bell pepper
Spices – salt, pepper, nutmeg
Store bought lemon pepper sauce
White wine
Grated cheese
Breadcrumbs
Butter


What I did:

I cut up my vegetables and flaked my fish – I put them into the baking dish (which I had lightly oiled).  I left the chopped spinach to last and put it on top (the reason for this will become clear)

I cooked the rice, drained it and then poured it while still piping hot into the baking dish so wilting the spinach.

I then poured the lemon pepper sauce and white wine (about 2 to 1) over the fish/veggie mixture.  Seasoned it and stirred it.

Then I sprinkled grated cheese on top  followed by a layer of breadcrumbs and a few knobs of butter.

I cooked it in a moderate oven (175 degrees C) for about 35 minutes.

Carole's Chatter: Smoked Fish 'Mornay'?

It came out tasty.  The rice had absorbed the sauce and the smoked fish flavour and it all melded together nicely.  One of my better efforts.

10 comments:

  1. You are very inventive, and the dish sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terakihi -- that's new to me. Is it a mild white fish? Your dish looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that it started out being one thing and turned into something different! How inventive of you. This sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks good! I like all the colors in the side view.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a perfect comfort meal to me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a winner -- and pretty easy too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great dish. I love making meals that have everything in one dish and I can just serve it up to the family. Thanks for sharing this on Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers